- Art & Culture
Monastero di Santa Monica/San Salvatore
The monastery of San Salvatore is the first to be certainly settled in the 11th century. Due to the intervention of the Duchess Bianca Maria Visconti and Pope Paul II, the monastery was reformed and named Monastery of Santa Monica. At the end of the 15th century the church and the convent were rebuilt and the works continued into the early 17th century.
Following the Napoleonic suppressions in 1810, the monastery was destined to barracks and especially used as a store of fodder. Between 1880 and 1891, a large external building was constructed, known as 'Magazzino carri', which was used as a storage for wagons. Throughout the 20th century the building has been used as barracks with the name of Caserma Goito.