- Art & Culture
It was built in 1265, out of the ancient Roman town. Together with Palazzo Trecchi and Sant’Agata church, it used to represent the centre of the town’s enlargement that took place during the Middle Ages, wanted by the popular wing in contrast with the aristocrats who had their centre in the Municipality Square. Inspired by the Town Hall’s architecture, it has a two-floor façade: the lower one presents a set of Gothic arcades while the upper one is made by bricks. The upper part is characterized by merlons and it has four three-mullioned windows that enlighten a single big room. For the entire 12th century it was the seat of the “Consiglio della Città Nova” (Council of the new town) and of its meetings; then in the following years, the palace lost this function and it became the seat of the guild of fustian’s traders. Then, it was transformed in barracks and in the seat of the notary archive. Restored at the end of the 20th century, today it is used for conferences and events.