- Art & Culture
Palazzo Stanga "alle punte"
This mansion was built at the behest of Marquis Gasparo Stanga in 1750. The elegant façade can be divided into two wings, slightly dihedral, that adapt themselves to the uneven course of Corso Garibaldi, a main road in the town. It is richly enhanced by a gentle ornamenting in sandstone blocks around the windows, and by small elegant balconies in wrought iron stone. Inside there are two courtyards bordered by arcades with Tuscany-style columns. In the passageway to the left the visitors’ stairway leads to the first floor. On the walls of the staircase one can see the Stanga family’s coat of arms and the two-headed eagle. The name Palazzo Stanga “alle punte” was born to distinguish it from the other Stanga mansion present in the city: it could derive from the location of the building in an urban zone notable for being the meeting point of a number of streets, and thus the name “alle punte” which means “a meeting point”.