- Art & Culture
Palazzo Vidoni Pagliari
Palazzao Vidoni Pagliari was built in the years between 1563 and 1566, and shows an ashlant-work enriched by a series of decorative elements: false windows, niches, broken pediments, masks and cherubs that intensify the chiaroscuro play. The first floor appears to be animated by counterpoised double volute timpani-crowned windows and, centrally, heads of cherubs, while the eaves are decorated by pairs of shelves and notched frames. The massive doorway, framed by columns with overlying balconies, dates back to the re-facing of 1788, attributed to Faustino Rodi: originally the main façade was not the present one, but that found in via Cesare Battisti, where one can still see the original doorway, with its fine telescope-like perspective effect of the internal courtyard. The internal 16th century structure has undergone extensive transformations in 1930-40 period when the building was assigned as the centre for the Merchants’ Association: a sober neoclassical staircase leads up to the rooms of the first floor, embellished by elegant 19th century decorations.