- Art & Culture
Monastery of Annunciation
The Annunziata monastery was originally a Covo family palace that in 1494 was transformed into a convent to house Augustinian nuns from Piacenza. Magnificent is the interior cloister with terracotta decorations. In 1592, a new church was built in honor of God and of the Holy Annunziata, now no longer recognizable. In 1798, following the suppression of the monastic orders, the monastery was transformed into barracks retaining the name of the ancient convent. In 1904, the barracks were named after the artillery lieutenant Marzio Manfredini who died in the war in Eritrea and it remained active until 2011.