- Art & Culture
Palazzo Ala Ponzone
Built in 1830 by architect Carlo Visioli for the Marquis Sigismondo Ala Ponzone, it was designed not just as a courtly residence but to also be a home for his collections of artistic, archaeological and naturalistic artifacts. The imposing neoclassical style façade is characterised by six huge marble pilasters with Corithian capitals, a central balcony and six statues crowing the attic. The main courtyard leads to an elegant double stairway, which leads in turn to the rooms on the first floor, decorated with frescoes and stucco work. Upon the death of the Marquis, in 1842, it was acquired by the Hapsburgs and later the Savoys, and in 1877 became property of the State. After various changes of hands, the palazzo became property of the town in 1924, and today houses council offices.