- Art & Culture
Monastery of Santa Chiara
The origins of the monastery of Santa Chiara can be traced back roughly between 1330 and 1398, when the Clarisse nuns of San Francesco and Damiano were present in Cremona, especially in the parish of San Paolo. The many alterations of the building over the centuries have completely overturned the original building, which was larger and more imposing than the current one. At the end of the 18th century the monastery was suppressed and turned into a barracks. In 1818 it became a military hospital, and then again barracks. From 1907 it is called Caserma di San Martino.