- Art & Culture
Palazzo del Comune
The thirteenth-century "Palazzo del Comune", the Town Hall, is opposite the Cathedral
Piazza del Comune, Cremona
Built in 1206, it initially consisted of one large room for public meetings.
The medieval structure of the building remained unchanged until the end of the fifteenth century when the mullioned windows were then replaced with rectangular windows, and a marble balcony was added to the front central pillar.
Among the most important works of art housed in the Town Hall include, "The Porta" that dates back to the second half of the sixteenth century and is on display in the stair well, the Council Chamber displays a plaster cast of "Porta Stanga" (the original is in the Louvre), and in other rooms hang large canvases recovered from demolished city churches, all painted by Genovesino, Malosso and Boccaccino.
Ph. Giovanni Tagini
Dal lunedì al venerdì: 9:00/18:00