- Art & Culture
- Religious Tourism
Santa Maria delle Grazie Church
Via Francesco Galantino, Soncino (CR)
Santa Maria delle Grazie Church is located in the old Calciana Road which connected Bergamo to Cremona. It was built in 1501 by the Carmelite Friars. In 1536 it became the private chapel of Stampa Family. In 1772, after the Edict issued by Maria Teresa which eliminated the monasteries, the Carmelite Friars had to leave Soncino. Their Church started to deteriorate and in 1864, the Saint from Soncino Paola Elisabetta Cerioli, who founded the Suore della Sacra Famiglia, bought the monastery and the church and completely restored them. The church has a rectangular layout, a single nave and five chapels per side. The internal part is covered with frescos by Giulio Campi, Bernardino and Francesco Carminati and Francesco Scanzi (from Soncino).